A journalist asked me recently, “What’s your favorite book?” I responded quickly, “The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader by John Maxwell”. I have enjoyed many John Maxwell books. Most of my depth of leadership insight has emerged from doctoral study and research with organizational leaders across the country. In this posting, I want to outline six habits of a commissioner. These are based on three years of interaction with the office through friendships and my work on the Hamilton County Tax Incentive Review Commission (TIRC). A commissioner must be ACTIVE, meaning Available, Creative, Transformational, Inspiring, Visionary, and Empowering.
In a nutshell, I am:
- Available because you have my personal mobile number from my handmade campaign banners: 513-LEADERS.
- Creative because I am naturally innovative in my approach to administering tasks.
- Transformational because I will work full-time for you and keep politics out of the commission.
- Inspiring because young boys and girls will see my election and know that anything is possible for them.
- Visionary because I will launch the role into the future by executing with higher principles.
- Empowering because your generous trust will propel me to be a deeply impactful leader.